William Randolph Mayfield (1834-1914) of LaClede County MO
By Phil Norfleet
William Randolph Mayfield was born 02 April 1834 in Casey County KY, and died 10 May 1914 in LaClede County MO. He was a grandson of Randolph Mayfield (ca. 1760 - after 1822) of Casey County KY. William Randolph Mayfield's parents were James Mayfield (1791-1849) and Mary Johnson (died before 1849). William married Sarah Amanda Davis on 13 April 1854 in LaClede County MO. She was the daughter of George Davis and Elizabeth Watt. Sarah was born 23 January 1839 and died 13 March 1909 in LaClede County MO.
Photographs of William Randolph Mayfield and His Wife, Sarah Davis
OBITUARY OF WILLIAM RANDOLPH MAYFIELD
The following obituary for William Randolph Mayfield appeared in the LaClede County Republican newspaper on Friday, 15 May 1914:
At 9:45 o'clock last Sunday morning, May 8, William R. Mayfield died at his home in Lebanon. He was 84 years old.
Owing to his advanced age, Mr. Mayfield had been in failing health for several years. For three weeks previous to his death, he had been suffering from heart trouble, but was not confined to his bed all the time. On Sunday morning, he had been able to eat his breakfast as usual and had been out to look at the garden. After going into the house, and while talking to his grandson, Mandeville, a third heart attack came and in a few moments he had passed away, apparently without suffering.
Funeral services were held at 1 0'clock, Monday afternoon, at the M. E. church, South, Rev. O. L. Hinson assisted by Rev. C. W. Dunn, officiating. The scripture reading, I Cor., 15:36-58, was given by Mr. Dunn, Mr. Hinson reading a brief life sketch and paying high tribute to the life and character of the deceased. In deference to the expressed wish of Mr. Mayfield, the congregation sang "Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone" and "Jesus Lover of My Soul." Interment was in Holman Cemetery, under Masonic auspices, Mr. Mayfield having been a member of LaClede Lodge, No. 83, A. F. and A. M., for many years. The pallbearers were the three sons, L. W., L. C. and A. O. Mayfield and three grandsons, Mandeville, W. C. and Clark Mayfield.
William Randolph Mayfield was born in Casey County, Kentucky, April 2, 1834. He was the son of James and Mary Mayfield, being one of a family of eight children, all of whom are now dead. The father was a farmer by occupation and was a soldier in the Mexican war. The family moved from Kentucky to Illinois and later to Missouri in the Fall of 1839. They settled on the Gasconade river, near the mouth of Bear Creek, then known as Kinderhook County, later as Pulaski and finally as LaClede County.
He lost his parents in his youth and was early thrown on his own responsibility, and, following the occupation of his father, became a farmer. April 13, 1854, he was married to Miss Sarah M. Davis, a native of Kentucky and a daughter of George W. and Elizabeth Davis. Of this marriage nine children were born, three of them dying in infancy. Three others, Sarah E. Holman, W. Melvin Mayfield and Louella Norfleet, died after reaching maturity. The remaining three, Irwin W., L. C. and Andrew A. Mayfield, survive the father. He is also survived by sixteen grand-children and several great-grand-children.
During the Civil war Mr. Mayfield enlisted in the Forty-sixth Missouri Infantry, volunteers, and, following his term of services, returned to farming. As a farmer he was most successful, and, in 1886, having acquired a competence, moved to Lebanon to spend his later years.
Mrs. Mayfield died in 1909 and Mr. Mayfield continued to reside at the family home, on Jefferson avenue, where his declining years were made happy and comfortable by the tender care of his family and friends.
Mr. Mayfield united with the M. E. Church, South, in 1854, and his devotion to the church and its activities were one of his most pronounced characteristics. Even in later years, when defective hearing made it impossible for him to enjoy much of the service, he was faithful in church attendance and by his presence and interest, was an inspiration to all with whom he was associated.
In the passing of Mr. Mayfield, the community has lost an honored citizen. He was a man of unquestioned integrity and throughout the County was widely known and highly respected. His long and active life of 84 years was a benefaction to all within the sphere of its influence and he died, as he had lived, honored and esteemed by all.
Children of William Randolph Mayfield and Sarah Davis
William Randolph Mayfield and Sarah Amanda Davis, his wife, had a total of nine children. Of the nine, three died in infancy. Names and dates of birth are known for eight of these children as follows:
1. Sarah Elizabeth8 Mayfield was born on 12 May 1855 in LaClede County MO; she died 02 June 1882 in LaClede County MO. Sarah married Andrew J. Holman on 21 November 1872 in LaClede County MO.
2. Lucy Ellen Mayfield was born on 21 February 1857 in LaClede County MO; she died on 11 April 1857 in LaClede County MO.
3. James Mayfield was born on 21 December 1858 in LaClede County MO; he died on 02 February 1859 in LaClede County MO.
4. Irwin Washington Mayfield was born on 04 January 1861 in LaClede County MO; he died 16 May 1930 in LaClede County MO. Irwin married Louella Greenstreet on 25 September 1881 in LaClede County MO; she was born about 1862 in LaClede County MO; Louella died on 04 April 1928 in LaClede County MO.
5. William Melvin Mayfield was born on 17 December 1864 in LaClede County MO; he died 13 November 1913 in San Antonio TX. William married Louella Esther on 05 January 1885.
6. Andrew Otis Mayfield was born about 1866 in LaClede County MO; he died in February 1928 in LaClede County MO. Andrew married Mary Elizabeth Clark on 28 December 1892 in LaClede County MO; she was born about 1870.
7. Leander Claude Mayfield was born on 15 February 1868 in LaClede County MO; he died 23 August 1928 in LaClede County MO. Leander married Mary Greenleaf on 07 September 1893 in LaClede County MO. She was born on 08 March 1872 in LaClede County MO and died on 30 August 1951 in LaClede County MO.
8. Louella Belle Mayfield was born on 08 February 1871 in LaClede County MO; she died 19 October 1909 in Edgar County IL. Louella married Reverend Abraham Lincoln Norfleet on 28 June 1894 in LaClede County MO. He was born on 14 July 1867 in Moniteau County MO and died on 11 April 1956 in Santa Clara County CA.